Gabrielle Chronister. Follow Gaby on Instagram for delicious, healthy recipes @healthy.gabrielle
Recipe of Week 3: Toasted Seaweed
In the past, the Harvest of the Month for April at Island Grown Schools has been either Salad Greens, Seafood, or Wild Edibles. This recipe from Chef Gabrielle Chronister is from a year when April's harvest was "Seafood."
TOASTED SEAWEED SNACKS:
- 8-10 sheets of Nori (sushi seaweed paper)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (or substitute 1 tablespoon with toasted sesame oil)
- sea salt
- Place oil in a small bowl and have your sea salt ready to use. Place your stack of nori sheets next to some parchment paper or a cutting board.
- Lay one nori sheet at a time on your parchment paper/cutting board. Brush lightly with oil using a basting brush or your fingers.
- Sprinkle salt (to your liking) all over and set the sheet aside. You only need to oil and salt one side.
- Repeat with the rest of the nori sheets, stacking one on top of another.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat until hot. Once heated, place one sheet of your prepped nori on the pan. The nori will start to shrivel and the color will turn slightly green. Toast it for 3-5 seconds then flip it to toast the other side.
- Repeat with the rest of the sheets and stack on top of one another until finished.
- Once all sheets are toasted, slice into smaller rectangles using a sharp knife. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for 2-4 days. Enjoy!
Recipe by Gabrielle Chronister
Share with us!
Tag us on social media @islandgrowninitiative or with #IslandGrown to show us your Toasted Seaweed Snacks!