February 25, 2016
Saturday April 30th we will host a regional Farm to School gathering here on Martha's Vineyard.
Come learn about:
- Farm to preschool programming;
- Local and regional food procurement for cafeterias;
- Harvest of the Month taste tests and community-wide activities;
- Standards-tied food education curriculum for preschool through 12th grade;
- Fundraising and organizational development for farm to school programs.
Teachers, cafeteria staff, parents, school garden advocates, and school administrators from Martha’s Vineyard, Cape Cod, Nantucket, and Southeastern Mass are invited to join us.
There is no fee to attend, but space is limited and pre-registration is required.
To register or for more information, please email Emily at email@example.com.
Please arrange your own transportation on the Steamship Authority ferry from Woods Hole (www.steamshipauthority.com), and we will provide transportation once you arrive on the island.
9:30am: Depart Woods Hole on the Steamship Authority ferry
10:15 arrival in Vineyard Haven.
- We will meet at the Island Grown Schools office at 35 Greenwood Ave in Vineyard Haven, a few blocks from the boat.
11-12:30 Session 1
- Garden-based learning for kindergarten through 12th grade
- Cooking with preschoolers
- Creating successful Harvest of the Month programs in your school and community
1:15-2:45 Session 2
- Curriculum-tied food education for preschool through 12th grade
- Local and regional food sourcing for cafeterias
- Working with preschoolers in the garden
3-4:30: Session 3
- Fundraising and organizational development for sustainable farm to school programming
- Field trip: Visit some of the Island Grown Schools gardens and partner schools
- Connecting farms to the classroom
Depart Vineyard Haven at 5pm; 5:45 arrival in Woods Hole
We hope to see you April 30th! Please be in touch with any questions, and if you'd like to help us spread the word, here's a flyer you can share.