Over the years, we have honed in on priority curricular units for every grade level, preschool through 12th grade, that build on each other and provide a meaningful food education for the students we work with.
This Toolkit is the compilation of these units, along with their related teaching standards, activities, and assessment tools. We are constantly adding to this site, so please check in again soon for updates.
We designed this curriculum framework to help our students grasp the following key concepts by the time they graduate from high school:
Feel confident in making healthy food choices
Appreciate the farming profession
Know that everyone can grow food
Understand the connection between healthy soil, healthy plants, and healthy people
Recognize the difference between the industrial and local food systems
Preschool: Exploration, Observation, Wonder
children use their senses to explore healthy eating, growing food and farming, which develops a foundation for life-long healthy food choices and a sense of comfort and confidence in the garden.
In the fall, children harvest from the garden, taste new foods, cook together and visit local farms. During the winter, they learn about the traditional process of turning wool into felt, yarn, and woven fabric. When the weather warms, children discover the magic of seeds and explore their growing garden.
Connections to IGS Learning Goals
Know that everyone can grow food.
Feel confident in making healthy eating choices.
What are our favorite fruits and vegetables?
Which foods help our bodies be strong?
How do seeds grow?
What do seeds grow into?
Where does food come from?
What is in our garden?
What do we get from farms?
Which bugs live in our garden?
How do we grow a garden?
- Salsa Making
- Seed Saving
- Washing wool
- Dyeing wool
- Salsa Making
- Seed Saving
Preschool Book List
- Seeds, Seeds, Seeds, by Nancy Wallace
- One Bean Anne Rockwell
- The Tiny Seed Eric Carle
- A Seed is Sleepy by Diana Aston
- If You Plant a Seed, by Kadir Nelson
- What’s This, by Caroline Mockford
- Up, Down and Around, by Katherine Ayres
- Tops and Bottoms, by Janet Stevens
- How a Seed Grows, by Helene Jordan
- Jack’s Garden Henry Cole
- Ten Seeds Ruth Brown
- The Carrot Seed by Ruth Krauss
- From Seed to Pumpkin by Wendy Pfeffer
- Growing Vegetable Soup Lois Ehlert
- Planting the Rainbow by Lois Ehlert
- Growing Colors, by Bruce McMillan
- Muncha Muncha Muncha, by Candace Fleming
Soil and Bugs
- Rooting for You, by Susan Hood
- Diary of a Worm, by Doreen Cronin
- Compost, by Linda Glaser
- Some Bugs, by Angela DiTerlizzi
- Compost Stew An A to Z Recipe for the Earth, by Mary McKenna Siddals
- Monsters Don’t Eat Broccoli Barbara Jean Hicks
- Charlie Needs a Cloak, Tomie de Paola
- Weaving the Rainbow by George Ella Lyon
- Woolbur by Leslie Helakoski
- Stone Soup by Jess Stockham
- Here a Chick there a Chick by Bruce McMillan